Welcome to the National Infrastructure Unit
The government's objective is that, by 2030, New Zealand’s infrastructure should be resilient and coordinated and contribute to growth and increased quality of life. This will be achieved through better use of existing assets and better allocation of new investment, as set out in the 2011 National Infrastructure Plan.
Underpinning these objectives is the work of the Treasury’s infrastructure teams. On this website you can find information relating to this work, including:
- The National Infrastructure Plan and National Infrastructure Unit;
- Public Private Partnerships; and
- The Better Business Case Model.
For more information on the Treasury, the New Zealand government's lead advisor on economic and financial issues, please visit the website
Topics of Interest
- Better Business Cases
The primary objective of Better Business Cases (BBC) is to improve decision making through fit for purpose business cases. The secondary objectives are to reduce the costs of developing business cases, make the business case production and review process more efficient, and conform with recognised good practice.
- Public Private Partnerships
The purpose of this guide is to outline for government agencies, potential bidders and the public the general direction and principles that will be adopted for public private partnerships (PPPs), the processes that are to be followed and the rationale for them..
- The National Infrastructure Plan
The Plan is designed to reduce uncertainty for businesses by outlining the Government's intentions for infrastructure development over a 20-year timeframe. The Plan is directional rather than directive, that is, it provides a framework for infrastructure development rather than a detailed list of projects.
- The Treasury
The Treasury is the New Zealand government's lead advisor on economic and financial issues.
Latest News and Releases
- Infrastructure Update Newsletter - Issue 1631 October 2014
- NIU's Roger Fairclough speaks at the Resource Management Law Association Road Show. See his slides here29 October 2014
- Infrastructure Update Newsletter - Issues 14 & 1526 September 2014
- NIU presents at Water NZ's Annual Conference. See the slides here.23 September 2014
- Infrastructure Update Newsletter - Issue 137 August 2014
- NIU publishes Demand Management Case Study on Agri Optics4 July 2014
- Infrastructure Update Newsletter - Issue 124 July 2014
- NIU publishes next Demand Management Discussion Document13 June 2014
- Infrastructure Update Newsletter - Issue 1130 May 2014
- Treasury posts the latest Guest Lectures video: Hadyn Read (WCC) on Infrastructure Asset Analytics. (Link to YouTube) 5 May 2014
- Media Statement: Appointments to the National Infrastructure Advisory Board5 May 2014
- Infrastructure Update Newsletter - Issue 1028 April 2014
- NIU published the Implementation Plan for 201423 April 2014
- NIU published summary of Evidence Base and Response Workshops11 April 2014
- NIU announces NZ wide workshops24 March 2014
- Infrastructure Update Newsletter - Issue 911 March 2014
- Better Business Cases28 Feb 2014
- Infrastructure Research Projects in New Zealand21 Feb 2014
- Media Statement: Cross Sector Evidence Base a Big Step Forward18 Feb 2014
- National Infrastructure Unit Publishes Evidence Base18 February 2014
- Standard Form Public Private Partnership (PPP) Project Agreement - Version 3 Released23 Oct 2013
- Media Statement: Good progress on infrastructure but challenges remain17 Oct 2013
- Infrastructure 2013: National State of Infrastructure Report17 Oct 2013
- NIAB release think piece on Demand Management9 October 2013
- Treasury Deputy Secretary Catherin Atkins, and Head of Public Private Partnerships John Park talk at the NZCID Symposium. See their slides here.20 August 2013