Welcome to the National Infrastructure Unit
The government's objective is for New Zealand's infrastructure to be a means to permanently lift the sustainable growth rate of the economy, through increased productivity and improved management of Crown assets.
As a practical means of delivering this, the government has:
- Established both the National Infrastructure Unit (NIU), as a Unit within the Treasury, and the National Infrastructure Advisory Board, comprising members outside central government, to advise the Minister for Infrastructure; and
- Committed to developing a National Infrastructure Plan presenting a high-level view of New Zealand's infrastructure needs over the next 20 years.
Topics of Interest
- Better Business Cases
The primary objective of Better Business Cases (BBC) is to improve decision making through fit for purpose business cases. The secondary objectives are to reduce the costs of developing business cases, make the business case production and review process more efficient, and conform with recognised good practice.
- Public Private Partnerships
The purpose of this guide is to outline for government agencies, potential bidders and the public the general direction and principles that will be adopted for public private partnerships (PPPs), the processes that are to be followed and the rationale for them..
- The National Infrastructure Plan
The Plan is designed to reduce uncertainty for businesses by outlining the Government's intentions for infrastructure development over a 20-year timeframe. The Plan is directional rather than directive, that is, it provides a framework for infrastructure development rather than a detailed list of projects.
- The Treasury
The Treasury is the New Zealand government's lead advisor on economic and financial issues.
Latest News and Releases
- Standard Form Public Private Partnership (PPP) Project Agreement - Version 3 Released23 Oct 2013
- Media Statement: Good progress on infrastructure but challenges remain17 Oct 2013
- Infrastructure 2013: National State of Infrastructure Report17 Oct 2013
- NIAB release think piece on Demand Management9 October 2013
- Infrastructure Update Newsletter - Issue 730 August 2013
- Treasury Deputy Secretary Catherin Atkins, and Head of Public Private Partnerships John Park talk at the NZCID Symposium. See their slides here.20 August 2013
- Appointments to the National Infrastructure Advisory Board26 July 2013
- Infrastructure Update Newsletter - Issue 630 May 2013
- Overview of Scenario Modelling Workshops, June 201330 May 2013
- Infrastructure Performance Indicator Framework Development29 Apr 2013
- Infrastructure Update Newsletter - Issue 510 Apr 2013
- Media Statement: John Park appointed Head of the Public Private Partnerships programme13 Mar 2013
- Infrastructure Update Newsletter - Issue 422 Nov 2012
- Performance Indicators Discussion Paper22 Nov 2012